- Always begin by washing your hands and collecting all of the supplies you will need (catheter, towelette, lubricant, and a container to collect urine if you are not planning to sit on the toilet).
- Find your urinary opening and use the towelette to clean the area.
- If you catheter is not pre-lubricated, apply lubricant to the tip and top 2 inches of the catheter.
- Slide the catheter gently up into your urethra until the urine starts to flow. Never force the catheter. If it is not going in well, start over. Breathe deeply and try to relax. Once the catheter is in properly urine will start to flow.
- When urine stops flowing slowly remove the catheter.
- Wipe again with a towelette and throw away the used catheter.
For full, downloadable and printable instructions click here.